Jul 20, 2014

DIY Bottle Cap Catcher


This post is brought to you by my husband. I've been slacking in the creative area lately and as my husband was putting this together I thought it would be cool to share it with my readers. 

We spent a lot of time going to barbecues this summer when we vacationed in Texas. I noticed that almost everyone had an awesome bottle cap opener with catcher outside on their porch or patio and my daughters loved it! My husband found a really cool, rustic looking Texas bottle opener on Amazon, but just couldn't find any bottle cap catcher that he thought matched the vintage look he was going for. Either my love for mason jars or fact that we found tons left behind in our attic from the previous owners sparked an idea to catch those bottle caps!


Supplies:

*Mason Jar
*Hose Clamp
*Screw
*Powerdrill
*Heat Shrink Tubing the width of your hose clamp (preferably brown colored to mimic a faux leather texture)





//First you figure where you want to hang the jar and pre-drill a whole in one of slits in the hose clamp because this will make it much easier once its time to permanently drill it to your surface. Something to keep in mind is that you will want the jar to be slightly further behind your bottle opener underneath due to the jar curving a bit in so it catch at just the right length. (see above the opener is adhered to my window ledge not the same wall as the jar)
//Next measure enough heat shrink to the same length as your hose clamp then slip it over and begin using a lighter to shrink onto your hose clamp. Make sure not to leave it one spot too long because it will burn! Just slowly go back and forth and you'll see it magically form to the clamp much like your kids shrinky dink jewelry! 
//Finally find that predrilled hole and screw it in and once secure slip jar in and tighten with the screw that is attached to the hose clamp and voila done!



I love the look of the faux leather, but my husband actually thought of using it for better securing purposes. He didn't want to have to worry about it possibly falling over time with the metal constantly rubbing against the glass. All material can be found at your local hardware store for under a couple of dollars and it literally took my husband 15 minutes to install. So overall a good project to do while we still have a few more weeks of summer to enjoy at your backyard bbqs or even all year round! Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ your comments!